They say ignorance is not an excuse in law. But there are certain offences or crimes that no one needs to be told that it’s wrong. One of such is murder. In the hierarchy of crimes, murder probably ranks high,very high. If not highest. It’s consequence ranges from equal death, life in prison or very long years in jail.
Please consider the following hypothetical happenings;
- You are being considered for a big job and someone on the recruitment panel bends on the panel not selecting you. You will say it’s village people, abi?
The person may reel out reasons why you are not best suited for the job. The reasons may be founded, logical and devoid of hate and malice. The reasons may as well be simply founded. Based on the person’s insistence and objection,the job is given to someone else.
- You have a very wicked stepmother who never allows you go anywhere. She knows your potentials and fears that if you set out, you may stumble on great people and opportunities that will make your life better. She actively pursues your friends away. She ensures you are always dressed in rags, so if per-adventure you stumble on people, at best they wouldn’t even notice you. Worse, you appear too dirty, beggarly for anyone to want to interact with.
- You have a friend who habitually “refutes” every compliment another person gives you. Rationalising how such compliments are unearned and untrue.
- You seek the advice of a lawyer who is to guide you on risk management and investment. The lawyer takes his or her time highlighting all the things that may possibly go wrong, leaving out details of the probability of the negative events happening at all. Emphasizing that you thread with caution and take the path with the least risk and invariably, the least reward.
- Someone deliberately adds some quantity of a particular substance into your food or drink. A substance which is known to be poisonous if taken long enough and large enough.
All these are deliberate attempts by others to undermine you or end you. We all know the negativity attached to “bad belle.”
What then happens if you’re the one thwarting yourself? You end your own life. You turn off on your friends. You frustrate that relationship or marriage till it cracks or breaks. You pass over that job, believing it’s not possible they would choose you over all others, so why the effort… You always keep to yourself. You choose to dress down and look pale, after all you are not a beauty queen or no one is looking at you, abi? You drink alcohol and smoke your stick with reckless abandon. Something must kill a man, abi?
Well,that’s some of the very many things depression can do.
Our society only becomes conscious of depression when it accumulates to suicide. That may be the height of it, but depression erodes the quality of people’s lives in many other ways; reluctance to pursue opportunities, social apathy, substance abuse, poor judgement and decision. Instances of which was vaguely illustrated above.
The feeling you are not good enough, that there are many others who are better. Sometimes, people summarily shut out an opportunity, claiming they are not interested. Sometimes people claim they know what they are doing, yet they are seen to make very horrible choices even when it’s expected they should know and choose better. These or some of it and some others usually precede the jump over the bridge.
What do you know about depression?
What do you know about mental health?
-Arua Ezinne Celine